Re: RFC: Disable RTL inlininer for Java?

"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> writes:

>    From: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz>
>    Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 18:36:45 +1200
>
>    The RTL inliner seems to be the cause of several crashes and
>    miscompilations of Java code. In the past I've noticed a few EH-related
>    gcj crashes that went away with -fno-inline, but more disturbing is PR6820:
>
>    http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6820
>
>    The evaluation order for the arguments is apparantly disregarded when
>    the call is inlined.
>
>    In addition, the inliner has never really worked very well anyway - only
>    private/final/static methods that preceded the call in a class got
>    inlined, and methods from other classes never get inlined, afaik.
>
> Why don't we just kill the whole RTL inliner on the mainline?
> It rots more and more over time, hey this might provide more
> of an impetus for folks to work on tree inlining for the lagging
> languages :-)

I think killing it completely might be premature, but we could declare
the RTL inliner to be officially obsolete and place front-ends on
notice that they need to move to the tree inliner.  For Ada, I believe
there is a plan to do it.  For g77, it may be possible to make the one
case that's really useful, statement expressions, be done as trees or
inlined by the frontend, and if not we can hope to replace it with
g95.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> <geoffk@redhat.com>