Re: make sh-1 support in gcc obsolete?

In article <20020529094852.A18251@us.ibm.com> you write:
>On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 04:42:08PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> However, I am very much concerned about a fact that is hiding inbetween
>> the lines: The GNU-toolchain in general is abandoning and letting (often
>> accidentially) rot more and more low-end targets in favor of focusing on
>> the "mass-mainstream" (Linux/desktop/workstation). As a consequence of
>> this, the embedded community will have to switch to commercial
>> toolchains. IMHO, this can't be in GCC's interest.

>Who is responsible for ensuring that the toolchain continues to build and
>work on any particular target, if not the people who use that target?

There are significant machine-independent changes that go against embedded
targets.  I've been reporting size regressions of compiled binaries in the
past... not large regressions (1 or 2% in size), but still, these can break
some embedded targets (and these do break stuff that would otherwise fit
on a floppy), and yep, they are with -Os.