Re: RFC: Disable RTL inlininer for Java?

   From: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz>
   Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 18:36:45 +1200

   The RTL inliner seems to be the cause of several crashes and
   miscompilations of Java code. In the past I've noticed a few EH-related
   gcj crashes that went away with -fno-inline, but more disturbing is PR6820:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6820

   The evaluation order for the arguments is apparantly disregarded when
   the call is inlined.

   In addition, the inliner has never really worked very well anyway - only
   private/final/static methods that preceded the call in a class got
   inlined, and methods from other classes never get inlined, afaik.

Why don't we just kill the whole RTL inliner on the mainline?
It rots more and more over time, hey this might provide more
of an impetus for folks to work on tree inlining for the lagging
languages :-)