Can the gcc 3.x code be cleaned up to avoid unnecessary warning messages?

Hello,

I have been building gcc versions 3.0, 3.04 and 3.1 using gcc 2.8.1 and
2.95.3.

Native target is hppa1.0-hp-hpux10. O/S is HP-UX 10.20.

In many modules the compiler throws up warnings about the following:

	unused variables
	comparison between signed and unsigned operands
	operands being signed in ANSI C and unsigned in traditional.

Having been a programmer myself, I am surprised that the code which produces
these messages has not been cleaned up prior to release.

It is causing me particular confusion as I am trying to track down a back
end bug
which causes gcc3.0 and 3.0.4 to crash out unless -O0 is used.
This bug appears to be fixed in gcc3.1.

Could something be done about cleaning up the code to remove the warnings
before before gcc3.1.x
and gcc3.2 are released please?

Thanks
Martin Hughes
mailto:martin.hughes@uk.thalesgroup.com
<mailto:martin.hughes@uk.thalesgroup.com>

Thales Defence Information Systems DISCLAIMER: The information in this
message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely
for the addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or
distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately
contact the sender if you have received this message in error. Thank you.