Re: 3.2 PATCH: Fully support parallel gnat1/gnatbind builds

In article <200205290737.AAA06029@atrus.synopsys.com> you write:

>> Someone from Sun tried to contribute an ANSI C backend (I think, maybe
>> GNU C...).  As with the last few times this happened, it was shelved by
>> the FSF; there was some talk of the steering committee discussing it,
>> but if so nothing public ever came of their conversations.

>What the FSF shelves the SC cannot un-shelve (without a complete split
>from the FSF).

And I take it that the steering committee is unwilling to split ?

Too bad, a C back-end would make a LOT of sense.

Of course, one big side-effect would probably be to resurrect some non-GPL,
free C compilers like Tendra...

Yes, and I know the FSF arguments.  I still think they're overly paranoid.
Heck, I'm working on a BSD system. We don't have the GPL as a failsafe to
guarantee that evvvviiill commercial people don't steal our code, and it
works pretty good so far.