FW: register spilling

Our target processor contains 16 data and 16 address registers. The
allowable storage to memory involves data register only. If the value of the
address register is to be stored in memory , it should be moved to the data
register first and then to the memory.
We have ported gcc to generate the code for this architecture.
However during the RECAP , we identified that a case occurs where the gcc is
storing address register directly into memory( i.e is not allowed). As we
scanned the code we realised that all the 16 data registers have been used
previously. At this point, gcc should spill one of the data register( what i
believe ). But it is not doing so and instead using the address register as
the data register somehow.

How should i tell gcc that when all data registers have been used, it should
spill one of them rather using address register.