Re: gcc 3.1 debian failures

On Thu, 23 May 2002, howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu wrote:
> Jason,
>     Unfortunately the debian gcc 3.1 build process doesn't seem
> to leave a core. However one interesting I noticed with
> src/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/22_locale/codecvt_members_char_char.cc
> was that it tries to open /usr/lib/locale/de_DE/LC_CTYPE
> and /usr/lib/locale/de/LC_CTYPE which both fail due to the
> fact that they aren't present in debian sid's glibc. However
> redhat (and yellow dog linux do have a copy of those files).
> In fact if I copy their copy of /usr/lib/locale/de_DE to my
> debian machine I find that codecvt_members_char_char doesn't
> crash anymore. I am wondering if this is the origin to all of
> those failures under Debian.

Many moons ago, the Debian glibc packages were changed so that support
is only added for the locales that you explicity enable.  I think the
file/command that you want to look into is called locale-gen or some
such.  I'm afraid I can not give you any more specific hints, since I
do not have access to a recent debian system at the moment.

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Either CONFESS now or we go to ``PEOPLE'S COURT''!!