Re: SS 20020521 ostream.tcc breaks ostream output

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:17:13PM +0200, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> For the time being, you may workaround the problem by always checking
> /explicitly/ that the const char* passed to ostream::operator<<(const
> char*) is not null, doing nothing in that case, i.e., not calling
> operator<< at all.
> (f..i, for the lines "temp_file << ident_buffer << '\n';" and "temp_file
> << buffer << '\n';")
>
> Ciao, Paolo.

   How can either ident_buffer or buffer be null in this case, since
they are both arrays of chars on the stack? I presume you mean
buffer[0] == 0?
   Do you realise how much code has to handle empty lines, that is lines
that are only a new line? And all this will now either be audited or
break? Is that what is being said?
   Because that is the symptom. There is an empty line where the output
stream gets the fail bit.