Re: real.c on unicosmk

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> I don't see any good reason.  The ereal_from_* functions still have to
> care about endianness, but I don't think that's your problem -- you're
> talking about etoeXX and eXXtoe, right?

Right. ereal_from_*, ereal_unto_* and etar* depend on endianness already,
so this won't add a lot of code to these functions. But it will simplify
etoe* and e*toe. I think I will prepare a patch for this first.

Hmm, actually, the external representation is little endian at the moment
while the internal is big endian. We might as well be consistent and use
big-endian throughout. In fact, using big endian for the significand and
storing the exponent in the *last* 16-bit word (or the lower 16 bits of
the last 32-bit word) will also simplify emovo and emovi in the 32/64 case
- they have to shift the significand by 16 bits now. If you don't have any
objections, I'll include this change in the patch mentioned above.

Bye

Roman