Re: real.c on unicosmk

> Bonus points if you can persuade EMUSHORT to be 16 bits on 32-bit
> architectures and 32 bits on 64-bit architectures (this would be most
> efficient on both).

You can get a 32-bit version of the arithmetic from
  www.netlib.org/cephes/qfloat.tgz.
It runs about twice as fast as the 16-bit version.
That would not solve the problem that EMUSHORT is used for
packing and unpacking data formats.

There doesn't seem to be any reason why REAL_ARITHMETIC is required
in alpha.{c,h,md} (I'm looking in gcc-3.1).  To use REAL_ARITHMETIC
for cross compilation only, and not use it on the native host,
you could make it depend on CROSS_COMPILE somthing like this:
  #undef REAL_ARITHMETIC
  #ifdef CROSS_COMPILE
  #define REAL_ARITHMETIC
  #endif