Re: unbuffered input

[let's move this off of gcc@ to libstdc++@, followups set]

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:48:07PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:

> In your first message you said you'd tried setbuf, by which I assume you mean
>
>     cin.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf(0,0);
>
> What happened?

Actually, looking at basic_filebuf::setbuf(), I bet I can answer this:  Nothing.

We're supposed to be checking "whether any I/O has occurred on the stream,"
according to the standard, but we're actually only checking whether the
buffer is open.  And for cin's buffer, that will always be true.

So you're probably seeing a single character in the buffer all the time,

    "david rasmussen"  "c"                      "openhagen, denmark"

right?

Phil