Re: libgcj size

   From: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz>
   Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:48:14 +1200

   Yes, this is normal. Most of the bloat seems to be caused by the DWARF2
   debugging info which is now on by default. Stripping the libgcj.so will
   bring it down to 5-6MB. I am told that there are some size optimizations
   (basically constant merging within the debug info) which can be done to
   improve this situation, but I don't know if anyone is working on this.

I don't know about other folks, but the size of this thing on Sparc
makes it just barely linkable on a machine with 128MB of ram.  That's
quite memory hungry, and in this case I'm only talking about the link
of the 32-bit Sparc libgcj.

The end result is just 24MB, which isn't too bad.  But the linker
bloats up rather hugely when linking the whole thing together.

It might be something that can be improved in GNU ld, I haven't
investigated further.