Re: libgcj size

Dara Hazeghi wrote:

>while comparing the sizes the various gcc versions once installed (total
>distribution, as well as cc1 size), I noticed that libgcj seems to be quite
>large. System is RedHat 7.2 i686-pc-linux-gnu. Mainline gcc install (without
>Ada) is ~ 125MB. Libgcj.a is 53MB, while libgcj.so is 24MB. Is this to be
>expected?

Yes, this is normal. Most of the bloat seems to be caused by the DWARF2
debugging info which is now on by default. Stripping the libgcj.so will
bring it down to 5-6MB. I am told that there are some size optimizations
(basically constant merging within the debug info) which can be done to
improve this situation, but I don't know if anyone is working on this.

regards

Bryce.