Re: gcc compile-time performance

<<If one should carry out the suggestion as fundamentalisticly as the quote
above, then one should get down to a compile time of about no more than a
few seconds; with anything more than that, it becomes annoying.

Well remember we are talking about detecting errors here, so we do not
get any penalty from code generation (it's semantic check only at worst,
syntac check only at best). You can do a *LOT* in a few seconds. For
example sem_ch3.adb from GNAT is 12,300 lines, probably half comments.
To compile it involves reading perhaps 100,000 lines of headers. On a
fast PC, compiling this entire module in semantic check only mode takes
about 4.5 seconds.

(and we certainly know ways of speeding this up quite a bit).