Re: gcc compile-time performance

At 13:47 -0700 2002/05/20, Paul Hilfinger wrote:
>GNAT's real advantage, in fact, is not so much in good error RECOVERY,
>as in good error DIAGNOSIS: its messages are MUCH better than the
>usual GCC standard.  Panic-mode error recovery is never going to give
>you that.

This is a point also that I forgot to point out:

Even though I find it practical in C++ to compile to just the first error,
and then fix it, it is still very important that the error message is as
good as possible. Currently, with the C++ template system, errors can often
be quite incomprehensible and hard to understand. (For example, my non-GNU
compiler may report an error at the library template expansion, which is
not what I want, as the error was generated by my own code. Etc.)

  Hans Aberg