Re: gcc compile-time performance

<We can't assume the presence of 64-bit integer types during the initial
stage of the bootstrap (ie before we have finished making stage1)

Do you really need this in the first bootstrap stage.

Anyway, you could write a little library of scaled integer arithmetic using
two 32-bit integers to represent binary exponent and fraction for example.