Re: gcc compile-time performance

<<The only *possible* reason I can think of (note: possible, not good) is
that it would help to ensure that cross-compilers would behave the
identically regardless of native FP format/accuracy etc.  A simple
fixed-point library would fix that.

That's a good point, probably decisive. It is indeed unfortunate to have
different cross-compilers generating different code, or for that matter
a cross compiler behaving indentically to the native compiler (I know
that at least Richard Kenner counts on that, since he prefers to debug
on a cross-compiler wherever possible to avoid jumping around on
multiple systems, and that makes good sense).

So simple scaled integer arithmetic is indeed preferable.