libtool version

   Is there any big reason to not upgrade gcc to use the latest libtool
release?  The reason I ask is that the current version has borked shell
script commands that prevent my Mac OS X -> MinGW cross compiler from
building with 3.1 (in particular, in building in libobjc).  I'm going to
muddle with this myself a bit, but any "you're doomed" comments would
save some time :)

-tim