Re: gcc compile-time (multibyte issue)

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Robert Dewar wrote:

> By the way, the actual algorithms for interpreting various encoding types
> may be useful to look at in GNAT. The methods we currently accept are:

How do you determine the encoding a source file is in?

It would be desirable for this to be consistent among front ends.  The
Java front end has a --encoding option, that should probably be
implemented for all front ends supporting multiple encodings for source
files, then if that option isn't used (according to the manual) uses the
locale.  projects/cpplib.html lists various ways a file might specify its
own encoding.  (POSIX expects a default of the locale encoding.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk