Re: gcc compile-time (multibyte issue)

<<The issues Neil is concerned about are secondary ones.  In Ada you
don't have to deal with trigraphs and line continuations; in C we do.
The problem cases are pathological -- if someone feeds GCC a source
file with a backslash-newline, rendered as "??/\n", after every
character, I don't care if it lexes slowly.  However, it has to be
interpreted correctly, and without impacting lexer performance for
normal code.

I'm confident I can implement this, but I do not have time to do it in
the near future.

OK, makes perfect sense. Yes indeed in Ada there are pathological cases
too, but you only get hit if you use them :-)