Re: gcc compile-time performance

On May 19, 2002, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>> SPARC does not imply Solaris Dr. Dewar.
>>
>> I was comparing Linux vs. Solars on SPARC systems.
>> Such that it was a direct OS comparison.

> Sure, I understand that, but it would be surprising if GNU/Linux on SPARC
> was relatively much faster than on x86.

Well, if you compare GNU/Linux with Solaris on x86, you'll get similar
results: GCC builds much slower on Solaris than on GNU/Linux running
on the same hardware.

My understanding is that the main performance hog of GCC builds on
Solaris has to do with /bin/sh.  Using CONFIG_SHELL=/path/to/bash
speeds things up considerably on Solaris.  Not enough to beat
GNU/Linux, but it's a significant speed up.  Configure- and
libtool-processing time are not insignificant, and an inefficient
shell surely doesn't help.