Re: gcc compile-time performance

> I don't know about Ada, but the ability to have trigraphs and escaped
> newlines absolutely anywhere in C makes the preprocessor lexer nasty
> enough, but combined with multibyte char support (which tends to limit
> or remove your ability to look ahead or backwards in the input stream)
> it becomes hellish.  At least that's my opinion having thought about
> how I might do it for a while.

Again, I don't see that affecting basic lexical scanning, and why would
one ever want to look ahead or backwards in the character stream for the
lexical analyzer (I agree it makes life harder for general text processing,
and indeed the peek functions in Ada.Text_IO (which supports all these
encoding methods) are a pain, but I see no impact on the lexical analysis.

I do not understand why trigraphs make life harder here, so I probably am
missing some key point.