Re: gcc compile-time performance

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

| >   Yes, when I make changes that are likely to affect the whole
| > compiler I have to do a full bootstrap.  Before I start a change I make
| > a full bootstrap to get some sense of what is already there.  A full
| > bootstrap (including libjava) takes more than a day.
| >
| >   What I'm reporting may look odd to you, but that is a fact.
|

| And do you also see the behavior that most of that time is building Java?

Building Java takes quite a loong time, however I didn't make any
specific measure to see which part is eating the most time.  But
certainly building Java takes longer that say building g++ + libstdc++.

| The other possibility is that you are using an older Sun that is significantly
| slower than ours.

Maybe, maybe not.  However, I do know that GCC-2.95 took much less
than GCC-3.1 (not counting Java) to bootstrap.

    jambon% uname -a
    SunOS jambon 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

    sel% uname -a
    SunOS sel 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

    poivre% uname -a
    SunOS poivre 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

-- Gaby