This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: gcc compile-time performance
- From: "David S. Miller" <davem at redhat dot com>
- To: dewar at gnat dot com
- Cc: neil at daikokuya dot demon dot co dot uk, aoliva at redhat dot com, chip dot cuntz at earthling dot net, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, jh at suse dot cz
- Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 05:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: gcc compile-time performance
- References: <20020519121015.62AC9F28D6@nile.gnat.com>
From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Robert Dewar)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 08:10:15 -0400 (EDT)
Depending on the source representation, this is something that should only
cost when used, and it won't be used much in practice.
The minimum is a function call per character, that can't
cost the same as a simple char dereference.