Re: gcc compile-time performance

   From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
   Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 07:49:24 -0400 (EDT)

   What we are comparing here (Solaris vs Redhat Linux) is doing a full bootstrap
   of C and Ada, and this seems to take reasonably comparable times on the
   two machines (the Sun is slower by a factor of 2-3, but it is also a slower
   machine by this factor).

What about "make check", do you see the same matching ratio?

I really doubt you will.... the Linux box should nuke the Solaris
one in terms of how long it takes to run "make check" even just
for the C language.

Linux also nukes Solaris in terms of how long it takes to build
libjava, but that is mostly a bug in the java compiler which Mark is
fixing (during compilation the java compiler calls stat() on the same
file a couple thounsand times, something like this).

But, again, "make check" is the real killer under Solaris.