Re: gcc compile-time performance

>   Yes, when I make changes that are likely to affect the whole
> compiler I have to do a full bootstrap.  Before I start a change I make
> a full bootstrap to get some sense of what is already there.  A full
> bootstrap (including libjava) takes more than a day.
>
>   What I'm reporting may look odd to you, but that is a fact.

And do you also see the behavior that most of that time is building Java?
The other possibility is that you are using an older Sun that is significantly
slower than ours.

What we are comparing here (Solaris vs Redhat Linux) is doing a full bootstrap
of C and Ada, and this seems to take reasonably comparable times on the
two machines (the Sun is slower by a factor of 2-3, but it is also a slower
machine by this factor).