Re: gcc compile-time performance

Am Son, 2002-05-19 um 06.49 schrieb David S. Miller:

> Support for these kinds of processors is not the reason
> GCC is so slow.  In fact, the performance of scheduling and
> packing is quite phenomal with the DFA state machine
> infrastructure done by Vladimir Makarov.

This is still in the works and not in 3.1 if I recall correctly.

I'm still convinced that the more demanding CPUs nowaday are a huge
factor in the slowness of GCC, be it directly or indirectly. For
instance some transformations wouldn't make sense on a simple minded CPU
like a 8051 because (nearly) all instructions take the same time and
branches are no issue there.

--
Servus,
       Daniel