Re: gcc compile-time statistics

I must say Geoffrey Keating's figures are definitely interesting. This
is quite a bit more than 30%

In particular, our customers will be going from the 0.49 figure to
0.88, which is definitely quite a jump (more like 80% than 30%), and
even by that fellow dewar's principle of not worrying too much because
of hardware advances this is more like a year, than a couple of months.

For the optimization case, we are facing more than a doubling of compile
time, which is definitely significantly noticeable.

We can probably get this back by some more attacks on the front end,
especially in the -O0 case. I will try to post comparable results
for an Ada file just for interest, it will be hard to give anything
other than the 2.8.1 and 3.1 columns for Ada.

(our here = with my ACT hat on)

Geoffrey, can you also easily measure memory usage?