Re: gcc compile-time performance

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

| > Remember that the whole technique involved here is to force the compiler
| > to do a variety of domain-specific optimizations that it would not
| > otherwise do.  The reason your front end/back end distinction doesn't
| > work here is that the front end is doing as much optimization as the
| > back end.
|
| I understand this approach, but it seems far from mainstream C++ usage
| to me.

Most of STL implementations use such techniques.  Boost
(http://www.boost.org) is another area where such techniques are
widespread.  POOMA is another good example. MTL is.  I can multiply
examples.  Use of C++ has changed over these last 7-8 years.

| Are you sure that complaints about C++ compilation speed are really
| specifically with respect to this kind of paradigm?

Most of the slow down complaints about g++ are about stuff related to
templates. Any modern C++ programs that uses the standard library has
to deal with templates.

-- Gaby