Re: gcc compile-time performance

<<In C++, for real programs, I've seen tree images as large as 5 gigabytes.

Yes, that's common in Ada too, after all I just gave you the tree size from
4000 lines of code. But reading a 5 gigabyte file will take a heck of a long
time in itself, so that sounds a bit ominous as well.

<<Not true; in C++ function bodies are present in the headers and the
precompiled header may store the already optimized form of the code.

why would you put functoin bodies of sufficient complexity not to be
inlined in headers, sounds a peculiar coding technique to me, but then
a lot of stuff in that world strikes me as peculiar :-)