Re: gcc-3.1 build successful in hppa64-hp-hpux11.00

> Correct. The problem with this is ld not writing the magic properly. I checked it
> linking against a shared library and deleting the shared library and running the
> program, it complained about the missing library. Also chatr reveals the info
> correctly. The problem with the ld even exist in the latest binutils snapshot.

After I wrote, I examined the magic information in a file generated by
gnu ld.  It looked ok as far as I could tell.  However, there must be
some information in the file header that's confusing ldd.  There is
something strange about the segment information in the chatr output.

The is what "hello" looks like compiled with the HP tools:

         segments:
	     index type     address      flags size
		 6 text 4000000000000000 z---c    D (default)
		 7 data 8000000100000000 ---m-    D (default)
	 executable from stack: D (default)

This is what the GNU tools give:

         segments:
	     index type     address      flags size
		 3 data 4000000000001000 ----c    D (default)
		 4  unk 8000000000001000 -----    D (default)

Chatr seems to get the segment types wrong.

If you build gcc with shared libraries, you will find that the dynamic
loader generates a message about an invalid shared library when applications
that have been linked against a shared library (e.g., libstdc++.sl) are
executed.  However, the applications seem to run ok in spite of the message.

Dave