Re: gcc compile-time performance

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

| > If I'm trying to teach software engineering at a school where they have a
| > dozen 486 machines and old Macs, the ability to compile on such hardware is
| > certainly important.
|
| I understand that, and indeed if you are on really old machines, you may
| well do better to use a fast compiler, like Borland, for teaching in this
| environment.

The point from reality you're missing is that as a mere teacher one
doesn't have the ability to use such an alternative tool or have  the
necessary financial support -- I'm teaching C and C++ in one the
greatest French engineer school and I have to use very very old and
slow HP machines.

[...]

| For teaching at this level, it really does not
| matter very much if you use an older version of software.

>From my concrete everyday life experience, it does matter.

-- Gaby