RE: gcc compile-time performance

> If I'm trying to teach software engineering at a school where they have a
> dozen 486 machines and old Macs, the ability to compile on such hardware is
> certainly important.

I understand that, and indeed if you are on really old machines, you may
well do better to use a fast compiler, like Borland, for teaching in this
environment. I am afraid that gcc will never look reasonable on those old
486 machines, not so much because of the compile time per se, but because
it is a huge memory hog, and old machines like that will often have a
miserable amount of memory. Another approach if you really think there is
a big difference is to use an older version of GCC, if you really think
that makes up the speed. For teaching at this level, it really does not
matter very much if you use an older version of software.