Re: 3.2 PATCH: Ada parallel bootstrap fixes

On Saturday, May 18, 2002, at 10:36 , Florian Weimer wrote:
> If I read the Ada standard correctly, temporary files do not need to
> have names, so the code is in fact unnecessarily complex (we could
> simply call tmpfile() and rely on the C library getting it right, most
> of the problems stem from the fact that mkstemp() is a rather late
> addition to the POSIX C library, and we cannot assume that it is
> available widely).

If there is a name with which the file can be accessed, then the Name
function should indeed return this name. However, since it would
be OK to implement temporary files in such a way that they cannot be
named, and since in such cases the Name function would raise Use_Error,
one could argue that it is hard to imagine Ada programs depending
on being able to get the Name of a temporary file.

On the other hand, GNAT always has allowed retrieving the name of a
temporary file and there may well be users who rely on this behaviour.

   -Geert