Re: gcc compile-time performance

"Scott Robert Ladd" <scott@coyotegulch.com> writes:

[...]

| > Actually in the PC world, people tend to have
| > very fast machines (you can after all buy a new gigahertz machine from a
| > major manufacturer for $500 these days). Sometimes in the unix world we
| > see people using older boxes, since some of that hardware is still very
| > expensive.
|
| $500 is a lot of money to some people.

In some European countries $500 is half the salary of some teachers or
lecturers; I don't think they could spend it in buying a computer just
because the tell them to do so.

I don't think we're doing users any favor by adopting an arrogant view,
saying that we should buy the last fastest computers just to be able to
use GCC in a decent maner.

-- Gaby