Re: 3.2 PATCH: Ada parallel bootstrap fixes

Geert Bosch <bosch@gnat.com> writes:

> On Saturday, May 18, 2002, at 10:06 , Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> Remember that similar problems have been fixed in C libraries years
>> ago.  Should we really wait until Ada programms are bitten by the same
>> problem?
>
> This I don't understand. The GNAT run time is calling functions
> in the C library. If you say security problems do not exist in the
> C library, why are they present in Ada?

The C code part of the Ada RTL reimplements features already present
in the C run-time library, or closely resembles such features.

If I read the Ada standard correctly, temporary files do not need to
have names, so the code is in fact unnecessarily complex (we could
simply call tmpfile() and rely on the C library getting it right, most
of the problems stem from the fact that mkstemp() is a rather late
addition to the POSIX C library, and we cannot assume that it is
available widely).