This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: 3.2 PATCH: Ada parallel bootstrap fixes
- From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb dot enyo dot de>
- To: Geert Bosch <bosch at gnat dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:36:57 +0200
- Subject: Re: 3.2 PATCH: Ada parallel bootstrap fixes
- References: <939CD9DA-6A6B-11D6-AF14-00039344BF4A@gnat.com>
Geert Bosch <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> On Saturday, May 18, 2002, at 10:06 , Florian Weimer wrote:
>> Remember that similar problems have been fixed in C libraries years
>> ago. Should we really wait until Ada programms are bitten by the same
> This I don't understand. The GNAT run time is calling functions
> in the C library. If you say security problems do not exist in the
> C library, why are they present in Ada?
The C code part of the Ada RTL reimplements features already present
in the C run-time library, or closely resembles such features.
If I read the Ada standard correctly, temporary files do not need to
have names, so the code is in fact unnecessarily complex (we could
simply call tmpfile() and rely on the C library getting it right, most
of the problems stem from the fact that mkstemp() is a rather late
addition to the POSIX C library, and we cannot assume that it is