Re: gcc-3.1 build successful in hppa64-hp-hpux11.00

Correct. The problem with this is ld not writing the magic properly. I checked it
linking against a shared library and deleting the shared library and running the
program, it complained about the missing library. Also chatr reveals the info
correctly. The problem with the ld even exist in the latest binutils snapshot.

Regards,
Karthik

John David Anglin wrote:

> > Hi,
> >     I am able to build gcc-3.1 in PA RISC 64 platform successfully.
> > However when I use this new compiler (gcc-3.1) am not able to build
> > shared executables. Instead it always build statically linked 64 bit
> > executables. I used the below to build the compiler
>
> Yea!
>
> There is some problem here but the excutables are definitely not
> static.  Even executables built with "-static" are still dynamic.
> I believe that "shared" in this context means that the text of
> shared libraries linked with the executable is shareable with
> other executables.  Is this what you want?
>
> Try chatr instead of ldd.  You will see that the executables
> are not static.
>
> It may be that ld isn't setting the file magic correctly.
>
> This is a binutils issue and not a gcc issue.
>

> > /* binutils-2.12 64 bit. Used HP-UX compiler to build the binutils*/
> > %../binutils-2.12/configure --prefix=/user/dkarthik/usr64 --disable-nls
> > --host=hppa64-hp-hpux11.00
>
> I suggest using the current cvs binutils.  2.12 is missing an important
> patch for hppa64.
>
> Dave
> --
> J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc.ca
> National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6605)

Karthikeyan M.D.
Hewlett-Packard, Indian Express Building
Bangalore - 560052, Karnataka
Email: dkarthik@india.hp.com
Phone: +91 080 2863394 Ext. 1730