Re: Ada.Characters.{Wide_}Latin_9 should be deleted

> Unfortunately, adding proper i18n support for GNAT on GNU systems is
> not possible: GNAT only supports a 16-bit Wide_Character type, but
> wchar_t is 32 bit on GNU systems.  This means that it is cumbersome to
> use the GNU facilities from Ada.  For example, if you add a new
> (private) type for a character at your own, you can't use case
> statements to process such characters, and you cannot declare string
> constants in preelaborated packages.

First, you can certainly add some kind of wide_wide_character type to GNAT
if you want to. We would not spend any effort on that since we consider it
of minimal value, but we would probably adopt any clean addition in this
area.

Second, you can certainly define a 32-bit modular type and use that in
practice (that's about all the wchar_t type is in C anyway. You can then
write case statements with this type, and declare constants in preelaborated
packages etc.