Re: gcc compile-time performance

Stan Shebs wrote:

> Robert Dewar wrote:

> > My own feeling here is that compile time performance is less important
> > than run time performance. We have never seen a customer pushed in the
> > direction of a proprietary compiler by compile time performance, but we
> > have seen many concerns about runtime performance being slower.

> Depends on the audience.  Most Apple developers pound on Steve Jobs
> about GCC being slower than CodeWarrior, then Steve proceeds to
> pound on us. :-( :-)

That makes me feel like there's something wrong in the management style
at Apple - surely Steve "insanely great" Jobs shouldn't pound on
individual compiler engineers ?!?!?

I work in a ~500 employee Institute.  The only reason the Director
sometimes wants to speak with me is that I'm chairman of the works
council.

That said, I definitely agree on the compile time performance, even though
it's next to irrelevant for most Fortran programmers.