Re: gcc compile-time performance

Robert Dewar wrote:

> My own feeling here is that compile time performance is less important
> than run time performance. We have never seen a customer pushed in the
> direction of a proprietary compiler by compile time performance, but we
> have seen many concerns about runtime performance being slower.

I have.

Many of the "proprietary compilers" will shame GCC under the table for
compilation times.  If you're knocking down a gig or more of source,
that absolutely does matter.

(And no, I'm not talking about proprietary compilers that are faster
becuase they're stupider; most of them optimize at least as effectively
as GCC if not more.)

RJL