This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: gcc compile-time performance
- From: Tim Hollebeek <tim at hollebeek dot com>
- To: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Stan Shebs <shebs at apple dot com>, Robert Dewar <dewar at gnat dot com>, dberlin at dberlin dot org, ak at suse dot de, dhazeghi at pacbell dot net, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, neil at daikokuya dot demon dot co dot uk
- Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 21:32:22 -0400
- Subject: Re: gcc compile-time performance
- References: <email@example.com> <200205180047.UAA14022@makai.watson.ibm.com>
- Reply-to: tim at hollebeek dot com
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 08:47:50PM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
> >>>>> Stan Shebs writes:
> Stan> Depends on the audience. Most Apple developers pound on Steve Jobs
> Stan> about GCC being slower than CodeWarrior, then Steve proceeds to
> Stan> pound on us. :-( :-) There is a group that is concerned about
> Stan> runtime performance, but it's much smaller.
> This also has been a priority for IBM's compilers, especially at
> low optimization, for rapid compile-test-debug cycles.
This is what a highly optimized -O0 is for.