Re: gcc compile-time performance

> I've seen quite the opposite, where compile time performance would
> have made or broken someone's product ever shipping because bootstraps
> took on the order of days.  Programmers don't get paid to fart in
> their chairs waiting for builds to finish so then can begin running
> regression tests (well, actually, let's be honest, some do :-).

Well I find the notion of a bootstrap taking days to be weird. I do a
complete three cycle bootstrap of GNAT in about ten minutes on my notebook
which is a slow machine (compared to say a $900 desktop). It is true that
compared to fast compilers (e.g. Realia COBOL compiles at something like
a million lines a minute on a fast PC), GCC is slow, but on today's fast
machines it seems adequately fast to me.