Re: cleanup query: _ALL_SOURCE

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 07:12:11PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 05:47:37PM -0400, Tim Hollebeek wrote:
> > This is really, really stretching my memory, but as I remember it is
> > used in the internal AIX headers to guard definitions of functions
> > that exist on almost all unixes, but strictly shouldn't be defined
> > according to the appropriate standards.
>
> Grrr.  I'm now guessing (wild guess here) that it enables the existence
> of bsd style functions where there are ISO counterparts with different
> semantics, or something similar.  If so, it really shouldn't be
> needed at all once gcc is modernized in this regard (a project not yet
> touched).

I did some grepping ... this is from a very archaic project I used to
maintain:

added -D_ALL_SOURCE so that EAGAIN is equivalent to EWOULDBLOCK on RS/6000s.

Later versions used -D_BSD -D_ALL_SOURCE on AIX, though I can't find a
changelog entry explaining why.  So I suspect your explanation is
correct.

-Tim