Re: GCC 3.1 Release

In article <20020517140210.A16176@tetto.liafa.jussieu.fr> you write:
>>> I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but if things don't improve,

>> FWIW, FreeBSD is adopting GCC 3.1 as system compiler for -CURRENT which
>> will become FreeBSD 5.0 later this year.

> Does look like a bad idea...

It is a great idea.  Please stop being a pessimistic obstructionist (esp.
regarding a system you don't even use ;-).

For some very short contrived tests, the C compiler may look much slower.
Have you actually compared the bootstrap time for FreeBSD 5.X just before
the change in compiler to just after?  I have not personally tested it
but perhaps David could post the exact time difference he saw when he
made this change.

Regards,
Loren