new dejagnu, configure, and C++?

I've asked around a little and no one seems to know, so I'll ask the
list:

The recent update of dejagnu into the source tree appears to be a good
thing.
However, the new dejagnu configure checks for the presence of C++ (as
well as C).

While doing a bootstrap build of "everything" I get to the point where
it's natural
to run configure at the root (so that gcc and everything else gets
configured in
a single run).  However, at that point I haven't previously needed a
working C++.

The question is: is this dependency intended?  If not (and it's going to
be
rectified) then I'll do one thing.  If the dependency is intended, then
I'll
do something different with my build process.

Either answer is fine, but it did surprise me to find that new
dependency
because I was under the (mistaken?) impression that I shouldn't need
anything
but C to get to the point of being able to cd to the sources, configure,
and make.

Donn