Re: gcc compile-time performance

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 09:25:32AM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
> Then there's the extreme approach of having maintainers only
> accept patches that either remove code or make the compiler run
> faster... :-)

In D&E, I think, Stroustrup tells a story of a suggestion made during the
early C++ standardization meetings that anybody proposing an extension must
also propose a feature removal.  Then a suggestion was made that anybody
proposing an extension must donate a kidney; it would hopefully force
people to consider extensions more carefully, and at most a single person
could only propose two really bad extensions.  Everybody liked this idea.