Re: gcc compile-time performance

On Thursday 16 May 2002 12:09 pm, Neil Booth wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:-
>
> > I guess the only way to avoid such things in the future would be to track
> > the compiler performance of mainline (similar to how the performance of
> > the resulting code is tracked at http://www.suse.de/~aj/SPEC/index.html).
> > Then it would be obvious which changes caused bad performance
> > regressions.
>
> I suspect that might be a good idea.

Hmm...

I think the next problem would be to determine what is and isn't a relevant
test. Obviously gcc 2.7.2.3 works for testing the C front-end (heck, the SPEC
folks agree too...). Would it make sense to come up with a bunch of
"representative" applications for the various front-ends? Alternatively,
would it make more sense to track the compile time of the SPEC builds
(shouldn't be too difficult).

Now the other problem is how to distinguish noise from real compile-time
performance regressions, as much of the differences in performance up 'til
now seem to have most likely been a cumulative effect of hundreds of patches
(I have no data to back this up, just a personal opinion).

Just thinking out loud...

Thanks,

Dara