Re: GCC software requirements?

> Is there consensus on the software requirements for gcc 3.1?
> These questions are going to come up again and again and show up
> in the bug tracking system.
>
> Requirements:
> - binutils 2.12.1 or higher, to get rid of errors like:
>   /usr/local/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: Invalid or unhandled
>   FORM value: 14

That only applies to certain OSes.  In some cases binutils is not used
at all.  Also, I'm not seeing any such errors with much older binutils
versions (e.g. binutils 2.9.5 on Red Hat 6.2).

> - texinfo 4.1 or higher, to build texinfo documentation
>
> Anything else? (awk, sed, grep, sh, ksh, etc.)

There are some platform-specific notes in the installation instructions
(e.g. broken /bin/sh on Solaris requiring use of /bin/ksh as
CONFIG_SHELL).  If any more are needed they should be added there.