Re: GCC 3.1 Released

Hi,

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:
[...]
> The release can be found in the file:
>
>   gcc/gcc-3.1/gcc-3.1.tar.gz

Which in addition is symlinked by gcc/gcc-3.1.tar.gz.  I don't recall when
this habit started, but I would like to ask you to refrain from this
symlinking.

The reason is as follows: Many people like to get the whole directory
gcc-3.1 tar'ed up by jsut saying

ftp> get gcc-3.1.tar

from the gcc subdirectory on mirrors that support this feature (most do).
However, when gcc-3.1.tar.gz is present in the gcc subdir, this preempts
the directory being tar'ed up.  Instead, gc-3.1.tar.gz gets unzipped and
what arrives is not what people expect to arrive.

Regards
     -richy.

PS: Oh, should I mention that this release works 8% faster on our code
    than 3.0 did and still beats the hell out of the competition?    :-)
--
Richard B. Kreckel
<Richard.Kreckel@Uni-Mainz.DE>