This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC 3.1 Released
- From: "Richard B. Kreckel" <kreckel at ginac dot de>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:48:49 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: GCC 3.1 Released
- Reply-to: Richard dot Kreckel at Uni-Mainz dot DE
On Wed, 15 May 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> The release can be found in the file:
Which in addition is symlinked by gcc/gcc-3.1.tar.gz. I don't recall when
this habit started, but I would like to ask you to refrain from this
The reason is as follows: Many people like to get the whole directory
gcc-3.1 tar'ed up by jsut saying
ftp> get gcc-3.1.tar
from the gcc subdirectory on mirrors that support this feature (most do).
However, when gcc-3.1.tar.gz is present in the gcc subdir, this preempts
the directory being tar'ed up. Instead, gc-3.1.tar.gz gets unzipped and
what arrives is not what people expect to arrive.
PS: Oh, should I mention that this release works 8% faster on our code
than 3.0 did and still beats the hell out of the competition? :-)
Richard B. Kreckel