question about libgcc_s.so and libgcc.a

I'm sure this one has been beaten around a bit but am trying to understand
this.

Upon installing gcc3.x and compiling, it appears that a program will not
run unless it can find libgcc_s.so.1 somewhere. Given that I had installed
gcc in /usr/local/gcc, I made a symlink in /lib to
/usr/local/gcc/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 . While this is fine and dandy for now,
what happens when I subsequently upgrade my gcc? Does it mean that all the
programs I compiled against previously now need to be recompiled? That
would not be desirable.

--Jauder